Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Strawberry Fields Forever... or at least the next month.

Yesterday I went with my counterpart to gather wild strawberries. We walked to an old orchard that was communal during the soviet era to hunt and peck for the tiniest strawberries you can imagine. They are considered a delicacy here, and people say that if you eat them for for the time that they are in season you won't get sick for the rest of the year. I felt like a cave woman out foraging for my cave family. My take was not great. For every one I put into the bag I ate at least one, but it was fun to be out in the sun doing something so simple. (Rhyme much?) Later in the evening Anya made my baby strawberries, some normal sized berries, and cherries from our tree into fresh compote. America I have a question for you... Why the hell don't we drink compote!? It's the greatest stuff on earth!

Aside from that I have been living a way-too-low-key existence. However, I just got a GRE prep book from a friend and plan to start studying soon. (Stupid GRE!) I haven't done much math since my sophomore year of college so I am NOT looking forward to this. But, since I have all this time I should use it to TCOB. Wish me luck.

2 comments:

  1. have spent two weeks in the Ukraine, years ago. LOVED the compote and the soup. Trying to find a recipe for the compote and that plain soup with the sour cream on top. Yum. Wish I could go back. You have a blast you hear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Myra thanks for the comment!
    The compote recipe is pretty simple. All you have to do is get a bunch of fruit (any kind really) and boil it with sugar to taste and water. Strawberry and apple are definitely my favorites.

    ReplyDelete