Thursday, June 17, 2010

Patriotism...

For most of my life I have not been a very patriotic person. I mean, I say the pledge of allegiance and sing the national anthem, but if asked "Hey, are you patriotic?" I probably would have laughed and gave an exceedingly witty retort that dodged the question.

My opinion has changed in my eight months abroad. It has become exceedingly clear to me that America is an amazing place. We have managed a lot in our short history, some of it exceptional, other parts not so good. When I was younger I would hear stories on the news about something happening in my country that I didn't like and think, I would love to live in another country...disassociate myself with this maddness.

The point is that this is simply not possible. No matter where you go in this world you will always be "the American" or at the very least an American. The deeds of your homeland will always reflect back on you in subtle ways. That in mind, I've changed my tune. I have to love America because I am America. Without love for your country there is no reason to try to make it the place you would like reflected back on you.

3 comments:

  1. I am sometimes shocked and disappointed with how Americans behave or how this country is run, but in the end, it truely is "The Land of Opportunity". If you work hard enough and have good ideas, you can make a great life for yourself. I have done quite a bit of traveling and everywhere I go, people want to come to America. So we may not be a perfect country, but we are Americans! I am glad you had this revelation.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lately, I've been getting excited about how it seems like our country is just about ready to slip into a bottomless ravine. It's exciting to know that we have somewhat of a blank(ish) slate to redirect everything. I'm glad so many Americans have been humbled by these last couple years, and have finally started to realize that American exceptionalism is a joke and that the American way isn't necessarily the only right way. Somehow this whole recession/recovery period has been a huge blessing in disguise, because we finally seem to be a bit more committed to making things better for people here than maintaining that #1 image. I guess we still have institutionalized racism, a giant oil explosion, the Tea Party movement, etc.

    But at least we're thinking about things. Being American is fun.

    USA!USA!USA!

    ReplyDelete
  3. It's amazing how living abroad makes you really think about what it means to be a member of your home country, isn't it? Especially when you're dragging around as much cultural baggage as an American! Even living as I do in a country where they generally like Americans, it's amazing the way people relate to you differently. (The other day someone asked me if being called a "yank" was offensive. I said not unless the American in question is a real die-hard southerner.) I never really though much, or cared much, about being an American until I left. Now I realize that it's a huge part of my identity.

    ReplyDelete