Saturday, October 10, 2009

I'm here, Safe and Sound!

I can honestly say that I have about 10 "this is my life" moments daily.The first thing that really struck me about Ukraine is that it looks A LOT like MI, environment and climate wise.I have started learning Ukrainian (which is a very difficult language might I say). We spend about four hours a day on that. During the rest of our time we do homework, learn about teaching English, walk around our tiny village, and hang out with our host families. There are about 3000 people where I live with my host family. We are about an hour from Kyiv, and it's a very nice place. A lot of people grow a lot of their own food. There's not a whole lot in the town. We have about five little shops where you can get mostly food and household products, a cafe/bar, a school, stadium, and small doctor's office. My host family is awesome! There is are six people living in our house (not including me). All adults, Babysya and Tato (gma & gpa), their two daughters, and then one of their daughters. Two men, four women. They don't have indoor plumbing, we get our water from a well and use a squat toilet in an outhouse. At first I was worried about that, but now it's old hat (I'm sure that will change when it's below 0 and I'm freezing). We bathe in a little building outside too. They have a really big garden, a cow, chickens and lots of puppies and kittens. I have definitely made freinds with the animals. Most of my day at home is spent trying to communicate in a mixture of Russian and Ukrainian (called surgic). There is a lot of gesturing and laughing. One thing about Ukraine is that they feed you a lot! Our host families are paid to feed us twice a day and I can't believe how seriously they take this responsibility. Lots of meat and potatoes. The food is actually pretty good. Oh and they LOVE candy, desserts, and chocholate with every meal. My training group consists of five people (including myself). One guy and three other gals. Poor Thomas is stuck with all women all the time. Ooh, my host sister is an english/history teacher at the local school, 26 years old, and a bad ass. We get along great and have a lot in common. She is pretty much fluent in English so that makes things a lot easier. I also have a friend named Dima. We help eachother with our homework (my Ukrainian and his English). It's a very symbiotic relationship. Also, it's nice to know someone local who speaks both languages, he has definitely done some translating for me, and helped me figure out my phone and computer. He's turning 18 soon so we'll have to throw him a b-day party. Basically I'm very safe and happy here. Of course I'm home sick and missing everyone a lot! No joke A LOT, but I definitely feel good about what I'm doing and how much I am already growing from this experience. It really doesn't hit you what you've gotten yourself into until you get here. I definitely cried quite a bit the first night at my host family's house. But then I got it together and started to really enjoy myself and the people around me. I love you all and truely miss you more than I can say already. Stay safe and stay in touch. Your comments will really help a lot.

6 comments:

  1. I love every teeny tiny piece of your body and brain and you are completely my hero. I'm thrilled to hear that you are doing so well. Keep updating, keep posting, and give me a mailing address because i am collecting THINGS for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Ashley, It's U Wade. glad to hear you are there safe and sound. I was a little worried when you didn't update this blog. sounds like life is good. do you have an address where we can send a care package to our favorite Peace Core volunteer?

    Hannah, Molly and i are headed to Michigan over Holloween to see the Lions play. should be a good outing with thier dad. we also just booked flights to Peru over spring break... Lima, Machu Pichu, et cetera... i spoke with your dad yesterday. he's got a new job and it's going well. we're good here. stay safe, be careful, have fun, we miss you to.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am very excited that you have befriended such an excellent collection of animals. I am going to imagine you are living on the farm in Babe, only in Ukraine rather than New Zealand. Ashley, just chillin with singing mice and a pig that wants to be a dog. That's the stuff dreams are made of.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love you too much. I'm going to try to call you tomorrow... i hope hope hope it works!

    ReplyDelete
  5. hey ashley! glad to hear you are settling in and everything. i just checked this calling card i have and i can call you for nice and cheap.. hooray!! am i correct that you are 7 hours ahead of michigan? i, like titze, will also be picturing you in a Babe setting, so you better teach me how to say that'll do pig, that'll do.
    i love you love you love you!
    dammit, i didnt know i needed a username... i dont want to be beijing punk! oh well, love, lauren

    ReplyDelete
  6. HEY! That sounds amazing! And a lot like Romania...go figure. How long is your PST? Mine was about 10 weeks...hang in there!

    I really like how people around here are more in touch with the land, its a very nice concept and easy to get used to.

    I know the feeling you had after your first night. The feeling of "wow, yeah...2 years..." really starts to get real when you're sitting in the most unfamiliar room you've ever been in with a very curious family who seems to take you eating everything on your plate and several shots of hard homemade alcohol very seriously. Does that sound familiar to you? :)
    Take care, good luck, keep sharing!
    -Jamin

    ReplyDelete