Friday, February 12, 2010

If you're reading this you're awesome.

Hi gang. It has been a Ukraine minute since I posted last. My life is starting to normalize here (which is pretty bizzare in itself). I teach 3rd through 11th graders at the school where I work. I love my students and the other English teachers I work with. I started three English clubs 2nd-5th grade, 6th-8th, and 9th-11th. The most successful one is for the little ones. I had 42 show up to my first meeting last week and 51 this week (ballin'). We sang songs, talked about animals, and watched a bit of the Jungle Book. Let me tell you 2nd graders get rather squirrley during a movie in English when they don't understand a word. It was fun though, before the meeting started a bunch of my little guys came and colored with me. Many of them made adorable valentines for me. In my 6th-8th grade club we were writing childrens books and one of my favs from 7th grade drew the most hilarious picture I've seen in a while (I wish I could scan it in and show you). It's based on Little Red Ridding Hood (Red Head to him). It's a girl with buck teeth and red hair wearing a red army helmet standing over a dead wolf with two guns in her hands and money sticking out of her pockets in front of a flag that says Bart Simpson Forever! Maybe a bit innapropriate, but I didn't care because I was too busy laughing. It's after school anyway.

What else... I'm in Kyiv at the moment, hangin' at the Peace Corps volunteer lounge. I hit the jackpot on books today (there's a volunteer swap library with a lot of sort of trashy novels but sometimes a hidden gem). I found The Clan of the Cave Bear (the book that my friend Ayla is named after I do believe), and a Jodi Piccoult book. Those will hold my attention for a while. I also found a beginner pilates dvd and season one of Firefly. I am currently livin large. There are a bunch of other volunteers in here, so I'm picking up a lot of gossip while writing this.

In other news I should be getting the internet at my site (ie in my house) within the next month. So look for a lot more blogging and skyping and everything internet communication.

Love you guys! Happy Valentines Day!

No comments:

Post a Comment